Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How much can you eat???

One of my favorite traditions in the Haws' family is the Christmas Progressive Dinner and Caroling Evening. Every year {except this year} we pull a flatbed trailer behind a truck and sit on hay while driving through town singing Christmas songs and traveling to the next house to eat. In between houses we usually go caroling to a home teaching family or someone that we feel would enjoy the caroling.

This year we started at Aunt Edie & Uncle Pinky's house with appetizers...cheese balls, crackers, fruits & veggies w/dip. I love cheese balls and fruits & veggies, so I was pretty full before ever starting on the "real food". We went and sang Happy Birthday and a few Christmas carols at Aunt Winnie's house since it was her birthday! She really loves to see the kids and is glad to see the adults I'm sure too. This year because of the blistery cold we all just drove our own vehicles. We had soup at our house and Kathy served her bread here so we didn't have another stop. I served a Chicken Stew that was a huge hit...kind of like Chicken Dumplings without the dumplings, and my MIL's bread just can't have one piece. The next stop was at Grandma Haws' as Aunt Deann and all of her family and Aunt Dorie were spending Christmas there. We had salads at their stop. Wow...are we full yet??? We haven't even eaten the main dish. We ate Posse Stew for the main course at Rand and Karen's house. I love soups & stew, however we don't eat them much because R doesn't qualify them as a meal. I qualify them as girl food, I am always glad to have hot soups or stews especially when it's cold!

We had dessert at Aunt Pat and Uncle Ted's house as well as played the much anticipated Right-Left Game. I am always anxious to hear the story Aunt Pat has to share. Everyone gets a wrapped gift and while the story is being read when it says "right" you pass the gift to the right...and "left" pass the gift to the left. I love traditions to look forward to and I always have so much fun on the Progressive Dinner Night!

No comments: